Saturday, February 19, 2011

New D&D game commencing

Commenced, actually, we had the first session last week.

I wanted to run something extremely episodic; a game with a short attention span.  When I write, I have a tendency toward long arcs and big reveals.  This has served us well in the past with some really good stories; my favorite culminated in the players' actions ultimately slaying a god and annihilating the world he had created.  These themes have been presented by other writers more talented than myself, but I'd like to think I was able to frame them in a fashion that was compelling and meaningful for the participants.

So on to other things.  This game is based in Sigil, the City of Doors, and work for a company that specializes in interplanar delivery, recovery, and acquisition.  Each adventure arc will involve heading to some fantastic locale in the multiverse with the intent to complete a job.  Right now, the PCs are headed to the City of Gloomwrought, in the Shadowfell, on board a githyanki planar barge, making a fairly 'routine' delivery of goods and passengers.  Almost immediately upon arrival, they were set upon by a powerful fey sorceress who sought to abscond with one of the passengers.  He was a warlock, sworn to her under a fey pact, payable on death.  He's not actually dead, just visiting the land of the dead, but the Lamia Sorceress ignored the distinction. 

We only got a few turns into that fight, but afterward the players will find themselves more entangled in the local dealings of Gloomwrought than they had originally anticipated, and hilarity will ensue.

It's exciting, having the entire multiverse at my disposal.  Virtually any crazy idea I get can be adapted in some way to serve as storyline material.  Unfortunately I do have to sacrifice a certain degree of continuity; recurring characters and locales will become more difficult to justify. 

We are short one player for this game.  We have a Dwarf Fighter, an Eladrin Wizard, a Changeling Rogue/Warlock, and an Elf Avenger.  I'm NPCing a Human Bard for the time being, but I find that running a PC is a very involved process in 4E.  Ideally, we'll recruit a fifth player, but I'm considering converting the character over to a set of monster block stats for brevity's sake.

No comments:

Post a Comment