Tuesday, July 10, 2012

40k: Death to Game Balance!!

Nothing is more exciting to me in the new 40k than the allies matrix.  

I have been collecting miniatures for a long time, and I have a fairly extensive collection.  A big part of the joy of this hobby, for me, is using the game and models to explore the abundance of lore.
 Coming up with background stories for my armies and their various characters has always been fun, and now the possibility to do some really creative and unusual interpretations of the lore has been made part of the basic rules.  Grey Knights and Necrons?  Why not, Trazyn the Infinite has an associate in the Inquisition!  Space Wolves and Dark Eldar?  Imagine the victory celebration!

More to the point, I like the implications that the Allies Matrix has on the intended culture of GW's 40k.  Since the time that I started, at the beginning of 3rd edition, GW has gradually removed more and more from the game, in the name of the elusive, sacred cow of Game Balance.  We gained and lost things like Demon Hunter/Witch Hunter units, Deathwatch Kill Teams, Variant army lists like Craftworld Eldar and Cult-specific Chaos armies, kroot mercenaries, and more over the years.  These characterful inclusions were dropped from 5th edition in favor of creating a tournament-balanced system.  Given the questionable success of that goal, I'm not convinced it was worth the cost.

Can we expect to see that sort of narrative weirdness working its way back in?  Time will tell, but I hope so.  Competitve 40k and game balance have never mattered much to me personally, and if that's the price of admission back to the land of creative army lists and narrative gameplay, sign me up.

No comments:

Post a Comment