Saturday, July 14, 2012

Games and music

I have a hard time getting into the spirit of a game without music playing.

 Maybe it's just my adult ADHD rearing its head, because I pretty much always need to have some constant level of background noise or else the voices in my own head start making up the difference. But the background noise for my games is usually a matter of conscious choice, instead of whatever happens to be on NPR.

When we play 40k over at my buddy Scott's place, it's almost universally some kind of metal. It works for us, because he's got a very extensive collection of various bands like Nile, Amon Amarth, and the like. Metal is the loud, aggressive side of geek fandom, and for all the tough-guy Viking warrior imagery that these guys like to project, you know that they play D&D on the tour bus.

For roleplaying games, it's a bit more of a conscious choice than an iTunes playlist on shuffle. Since I'm usually the one running the game, I get to pick, and I find that I put almost as much thought into the music as I do actually writing scenes. It's difficult for me sometimes, because I wonder how much of what I feel through the music is being accurately conveyed to the players, and how much is just me getting lost in my own internal landscape.

I have a piece from earlier in the blog, referencing the music I used in Orpheus. I put more thought into that game's soundtrack than any other I've ever done, developing different playlists for each night, and compiling a list of specific music for specific scenes. We started each night with what was essentially the theme music for the opening credits, which coincided with whichever book in the series we were currently working our way through.

 The game I'm running right now is a 4E home campaign through the Roll20 app. Music presents its own challenges here, because the onboard jukebox feature is frankly difficult to use. Its search feature is somewhat inscrutable, often finding some pretty incongruous results (I don't know how many awful homemade dubstep remixes I've listened to in the past month). It lacks any kind of playlist, pretty much enabling you to loop tracks and that's it. For now, I've made it work, and I'm thinking that I may have to just feed my players links on YouTube in order to play the tracks I want them to hear. Shared playlists on Spotify also have some promise, although I have yet to really develop that idea.

What role does music play in your games?

2 comments:

  1. Great post! I as well occasionally spend more time on soundtrack than mapmaking lol. Especially with some of the settings my group plays in atmosphere is not just a nice addition but imperative to play. I've occasionally even built rules mechanics around the playlist (giving players double xp for kills when their theme song is playing in the mix) as far as a system for online play, you might consider just opening a FB private group for your players. everyone can keep it running in a side window and you can post youtube links directly to the wall in play along with whatever other things you would have trouble linking from the software you're using.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've plugged these guys over on another conversation about gaming tunes, and I have to say, they work well for both dark future adventuring (W40K etc.) and any horror game you could care to shake a stick at. They are the wonderfully dark and bleak, Marduk. they have most of their stuff over on Spotify if you want to take a free listen, but their last album, Wormwood, has been on my MP3 player since it was released, and I doubt I'll take it off any time soon.

    ReplyDelete